cascading type errors in ghc

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Sun Jul 28 18:01:22 CEST 2013

Giving good type error messages is tricky!

You get different behaviour for literals because 0 has type (forall a. Num a => a), whereas you declared x1 to have type Int.  GHC could have additionally said "Can't find an instance for Num Bool, but it suppresses such errors if there are more serious ones at hand.  Hence the difference you observed.

Previous GHCs would often bale out altogether if they tried to unify Int with Bool, and recover at some outer point.  That's good for not getting lots of errors, but it might suppress genuinely separate errors.  Nowadays we gather all the unsolved constraints without an exception-style bale-out, which probably accounts for you seeing more errors.

The good news is that error generation is all in one module TcErrors.lhs, so it's easy to adjust these things.  For example, given a nearby bunch of errors, you could suppress all but one.  I don't know whether that would on balance make things better or not.  But it's certainly easy to experiment (if you build yourself a GHC).

Simon