How to get started with a new backend?

David Terei davidterei at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 08:21:06 CET 2013

I believe that some Microsoft Research folks at Cambridge got a fairly
far along implementation of Haskell on Java or .NET many years back
but concluded it wasn't a good fit. My rusty memory of a conversation
with Simon Marlow about this was that all the Java libraries basically
ended up in IO and matching the API and type design up with Haskell
wasn't very nice.

Not sure what the motivation is, but you may want to look at VMKit:
http://vmkit.llvm.org/. It could be a good fit and may be easy to use
through the LLVM backend.