Size of crosscompiled exectuable

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:45:46 CET 2013

On 25/01/13 16:35, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 25/01/13 15:51, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
>> Somebody claiming to be Simon Marlow wrote:

>>> Not sure what you mean by "five times the size on my linux system".
>>> What is 5 times larger than what?
>>
>> He's saying that the size of the android executable (made by his cross
>> compiler) is five time the sive of the equivalent Ubuntu executable
>> (made by, I assume, his system's GHC).
>>
>> The problem is not the size, but the size ratio.
>
> Ah, I see.  Yes, my executables are a similar size.  I'm not sure why,
> I'll try to look into it.

It's just the lack of SPLIT_OBJS.  Also, unregisterised accounts for a
factor of 1.5 or so.

Incidentally, I now have a registerised cross-compiler for Raspberry Pi
compiling a working hello world :)  (LLVM 3.0, GHC HEAD)

GhcStage2HcOpts    = -O0 -fllvm -pgmlc llc-3.0 -pgmlo opt-3.0 -optlc
-mtriple=arm-linux-gnueabihf -optlc -mattr=+vfp2 -optlc -float-abi=hard
GhcLibHcOpts       = -O -fllvm -pgmlc llc-3.0 -pgmlo opt-3.0 -optlc
-mtriple=arm-linux-gnueabihf -optlc -mattr=+vfp2 -optlc -float-abi=hard
GhcRtsHcOpts      += -fllvm -pgmlc llc-3.0 -pgmlo opt-3.0 -optlc
-mtriple=arm-linux-gnueabihf -optlc -mattr=+vfp2 -optlc -float-abi=hard

Nice work everyone.