Size of crosscompiled exectuable

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 16:36:26 CET 2013

On 25/01/13 13:58, Nathan Hüsken wrote:
> A simple hello world application has 1Mb in by 64 bit ubunut machine.
> When I stript it, is has about 750kb.

GHC statically links all its libraries by default.  If you want a
dynamically linked executable, use -dynamic (ensure you have the dynamic
libraries built and/or installed though).

> When I build a cross compiler for android (arm), the executable has a
> asize of about 10MB, stripped about 5MB.
>
> That is huge, five times the size on my linux sysem.

Not sure what you mean by "five times the size on my linux system".
What is 5 times larger than what?

Static linking is useful when cross compiling, because it means you can
just copy the binary over to the target system and run it.