Newtype wrappers

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Mon Jan 21 05:37:22 CET 2013

On 1/14/13 9:15 PM, Iavor Diatchki wrote:
> It looks like what we need is a different concept: one that talks about the
> equality of the representations of types, rather then equality of the types
> themselves.

+1.

In fact, this distinction is one of the crucial ones I had in mind when
working on the language I abandoned when I discovered Haskell.  It's
also something that came up when working on the Dyna language. And now
it's coming up here. There's a big difference between semantic types and
representation types; and it sounds like it's high time for working that
distinction into the compiler (painful though it may be).

--
Live well,
~wren