RULES map (\x -> x) = id

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 18 11:52:13 CET 2013

|  So I wonder: Why is rule "map id2" not enough here?

Compile with -ddump-rules.  What you see is below.

* The rule "map id" actually has an LHS like this:
      myMap a (id a)
  where the (id a) is a type application.  It'll ONLY match a term that looks like
      myMap <ty> (id <ty>)
  where <ty> is some type.  It won't match  (myMap (\x.x))

* The rule "map id2" has an LHS like
     myMap a (\x.x)
   If we try to match that against the term (myMap a (id a)), will it match?
   Sadly, GHC *does* expand 'id', to the term is equivalent to
          myMap a ((/\b.\x:b.x) a)
   To make this match (\x:a.x) you'd have to do beta-reduction on the fly during
   matching, at least for type applications.

Conclusion.  Matching functions is bound to be hard.  You could try improving the matcher, which is in Rules.lhs, function 'match'.  Doing some kind of on the fly beta reduction might be worth a try.

I hope this is helpful. I would be happy if someone felt like augmenting the Commentary to cover some of this information.  (I could review.)

Simon

"map id" [ALWAYS]
    forall (@ a{tv agb} [tv]).
      main:Rules.myMap{v r0} @ a{tv agb} [tv]
                             @ a{tv agb} [tv]
                             (base:GHC.Base.id{v r2s} [gid] @ a{tv agb} [tv])
      = base:GHC.Base.id{v r2s} [gid] @ [a{tv agb} [tv]]
"map id2" [ALWAYS]
    forall (@ a{tv ag3} [tv]).
      main:Rules.myMap{v r0} @ a{tv ag3} [tv]
                             @ a{tv ag3} [tv]
                             (\ (x{v aeP} [lid] :: a{tv ag3} [tv]) -> x{v aeP} [lid])
      = base:GHC.Base.id{v r2s} [gid] @ [a{tv ag3} [tv]]