Should ghc -msse imply gcc -msse

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 21:01:01 CET 2013

Hi all,

I forgot I once raised this on the GHC bug tracker:

Here's what Simon M had to say back then:

"The right thing is to put -msse in the cc-options field of your
.cabal file, if that's what you want.

I'm distinctly uneasy about having -msse magically pass through to gcc.

* There are many flags that we do not pass through to gcc, so having
one that we do pass through could be confusing (and lead to lots more
requests for more flags to be passed through)

* What if there is a variant of -msse that gcc supports but we don't?
Wouldn't we have to keep them in sync?

I'm going to close this as wontfix, but please feel free to reopen and
disagree."