Advice on type families and non-injectivity?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jan 14 04:46:34 CET 2013

Hi Conal,

I agree that your initial example is a little puzzling, and I'm glad that the new ambiguity checker prevents both definitions, not just one.

However, your initial question seems broader than just this example. I have run into this problem (wanting injective type functions) several times myself, and have been successful at finding workarounds. But, I can't think of any unifying principle or solid advice. If you can post more information about your problem, perhaps I or others can contribute.

For what it's worth, the desire for injective type functions has been entered as ticket #6018 in the GHC Trac, but I see you're already on the cc: list. I believe Simon PJ has given serious thought to implementing this feature and may have even put in some very basic code toward this end.

Richard