missing mtl (which exists) when installing filemanip package

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 10 19:29:16 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:34:19AM -0500, HP Wei wrote:

> I did the following:
>   download filemanip-0.3.6.2.tar.gz
>   tar xvf ...
>   cd filemanip-0.3.6.2
>   runhaskell Setup configure --prefix=$HOME/ghc
>
>   --> it tells me
>       Setup: At least the following dependencies are missing:
>       mtl -any, unix-compat -any

This is because by default, 'runhaskell Setup configure' tries to
install things in the global package DB, and those packages are
installed in the local package DB so it cannot use them.

One solution is to pass '--user' to runhaskell Setup configure.

HOWEVER, these days you should not call Setup directly.  Instead, use
the cabal-install tool (which comes with the Haskell platform).  So
you should just be able to say

  cabal install filemanip

instead of downloading it manually and calling Setup.

-Brent