[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell-beginners] ghc and android

Bernhard Urban lewurm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 15:13:54 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Ivan Perez <ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please, let us know if you manage to compile it.

There are some comments regarding porting git-annex to android, in
order to make it useable from shell (that is, not as android app).
http://git-annex.branchable.com/design/assistant/android/

The main issue: The GHC runtime relies on glibc, which is not used on
android. Also, glibc cannot be (fully) linked statically.
Probably someone with more knowledge about GHC internals and glibc can
came up with a clean solution to this problem.

> An additional issue:  ghci (and Template Haskell because it uses the
> bytecode interpreter of ghci internally) currently(?) requires its own
> custom linker instead of being able to use the system linker.  Said linker
> has no support for ARM.  The correct fix for this is to redesign ghci so it
> doesn't need its own linker; there has been some work in this direction,
> but I don't know how complete it is, and it interacts with other issues
> such as building Haskell libraries as shared objects.

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2012-December/023163.html
I don't know the situation on ARM though.

I added ghc-users mailinglist to CC.

Regards,
Bernhard