base package -- goals

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Mon Feb 25 17:57:09 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:29:42AM -0500, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
> Somebody claiming to be Ian Lynagh wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 02:31:56PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> >>In any case there is still the problem: What and where is the Prelude...
> >>but maybe let’s postpone this.
> >
> >I'd put it in its own package for now, and then look at whether/what it
> >should be merged with later.
>
> Why shouldn't Prelude (and other really stable, standard modules)
> just live in the `haskell2010` package?

If we did that then every package would depend on haskell2010, which is
fine until haskell2013 comes along and they all need to be changed (or
miss out on any improvements that were made).

Even the really stable modules change, incidentally. For example, since
Haskell 2010, the Show superclass of Prelude.Num was removed, Prelude no
longer exports catch, and Data.List gained a function dropWhileEnd.

Thanks
Ian