base package

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Sat Feb 23 02:18:53 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:38:04AM -0800, Johan Tibell wrote:

> Glad to see you're making progress on this. Once we're done exploring how
> fine-grained we can make the division we might want to pull back a bit

I definitely agree with "Once we're done". Once we have made all the
splits we might want to make, it'll be a lot easier to see the big
picture and merge packages we decide should be merged. It's a lot harder
to work the other way, as it's tricky to see what is or isn't possible.

> In addition, I don't think we want to say that e.g. pure data structures
> can't depend on the FFI. While their current implementation might not use
> the FFI, what if we want to use it in the future. We'd have to reshuffle
> the packages again.

I think the issue is what a package exports, rather than what it depends
on. Changing the package dependencies later won't affect users of the
package.

Thanks
Ian