base package (was: GHC 7.8 release?)

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Feb 13 10:56:56 CET 2013

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.02.2013, 11:34 +0200 schrieb Roman Cheplyaka:
> It would be great to have a portable base, without any GHC-specific
> stuff in it. After all, modules like Control.Monad or Data.Foldable
> are pure Haskell2010.

while you are considering to split base, please also consider separating
IO out. We can expect compiling Haskell to, say JavaScript or other
targets that are not processes in the usual sense. For these IO might
not make sense.

Having something below base that provides the pure stuff (common data
structures etc.) would enable libraries to easily say: „My algorithm can
be used in normal programs as well as in programs that are compiled to
JS“ by not depending on base, but on, say, pure-base.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner