How to compile ghc 7.6.2 with llvm?

David Terei davidterei at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 00:39:27 CET 2013

Nothing straight forward to do this. You could do any of:

1) Look at the output of make a GHC is compiled. Verify that by and
large most lines have '-fllvm' on them.
2) As above but pipe output of building GHC to a file. Grep it later
for '-fllvm', you should get a very high count.
3) Add a "-v2" option to the build settings in build.mk, this will
give lots and lots of output, showing for example that the various
LLVM tools (llc, opt) are being called.
4) temporarily remove the llvm tools (opt, llc) from the command line
and verify that building GHC fails pretty quickly.

I'd say 2 is the best bet. However, if you chose "perf-llvm" as your
build setting and GHC built, you built GHC with LLVM.

Cheers,
David