GHC 7.8 release?

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Tue Feb 12 03:31:51 CET 2013

Let me strongly support Gaby's many points.

Simon has it right: we need a way to support 'users' in a stable way,
without adding enormous inertia to the development of GHC.  I has lived
through the slow death of a system from being rapidly innovative to
having 'innovations' which exist only because a marketer says that the
raft of boring, incremental improvements in each new release are
innovative  on some What's New blurb.

Haskell is extremely useful, and GHC's flavour of Haskell is quite
exciting because of the continual evolution of the language.  Please
don't kill the excitement!

The Platform does seem to be an ideal mechanism to provide stability for
users who value stability over bleeding-edge.  But for that to be
successful, there are to be strong community commitment [especially from
library maintainers] to tracking that evolution. If the social
mechanisms are not strong enough to fully support the Platform, I would
say that that is the most important thing to fix.

Jacques