GHC 7.8 release?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Feb 11 23:45:12 CET 2013

Hi,

Am Montag, den 11.02.2013, 22:31 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton-Jones:
> No, they track things we call “releases”.  Very well, maybe we should
> call them “previews” instead, and only dignify it as a “release” when,
> and only when a preview is picked by HP as worthy of incorporation in
> the next HP.

wording does indeed help a lot. I remember that 7.2 was dubbed a
technology review with the effect that, at least Debian, never included
it in the main repository. It was packaged and provided in experimental,
for easy access to those who want to play with it, but not with
additional library packages. From what I can remember, there was no push
towards supporting 7.2 properly, and I believe this would have been
different if 7.2 was just “the next regular GHC release”.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner