GHC 7.8 release?

John Lato jwlato at
Mon Feb 11 03:09:56 CET 2013

While I'm notionally in favor of decoupling API-breaking changes from
non-API breaking changes, there are two major difficulties: GHC.Prim and
Template Haskell. Should a non-API-breaking change mean that GHC.Prim is
immutable?  If so, this greatly restricts GHC's development.  If not, it
means that a large chunk of hackage will become unbuildable due to deps on
vector and primitive.  With Template Haskell the situation is largely
similar, although the deps are different.

What I would like to see are more patch-level bugfix releases.  I suspect
the reason we don't have more is that making a release is a lot of work.
 So, Ian, what needs to happen to make more frequent patch releases