GHC 7.8 release?

David Terei davidterei at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 22:26:58 CET 2013

On 10 February 2013 13:02, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> What I am still missing is this:
>
> |  Mark is asking for major GHC releases every year at the most, preferably
> |  less frequently.  That means major GHC releases in the sense that we do
> |  them now, where libraries change, and a wave of package updates are
> |  required to get everything working.
>
> What causes the "wave of package updates"?  Just because GHC 7.8 (say) comes out, no package author need lift a finger.  The Haskell Platform sets the pace for package updates. When the Haskell Platform comes out, now THAT is indeed a trigger for a wave of updates.  Authors of packages in HP are forced to act; authors of other packages want their packages to work with the next HP.
>
> But there is no reason why package authors should respond to GHC releases, provided we signpost it accurately.
>
> You may ask what use is a GHC release that doesn't cause a wave of updates?  And hence that doesn't work with at least some libraries.  Well, it's a very useful forcing function to get new features actually out and tested.   Of course we could just not do that, and say "build from source", but a release brings a welcome discipline.  But under this story, release or not-release would be a Little Deal, not a Big Deal.  The benefits are modest; the costs are modest.
>
> In short, I'm continuing to propose that we stick to the current story, but signpost it better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it --- or at least fix only the bits that are broken, which is the signposting.

My understanding of the proposed changes (which I'm also supportive
of) is to separate GHC improvements that break existing libraries (or
perhaps even simply add language level features), and those that are
improvements under-the-hood (e.g., bug fixes, performance
improvements).

So rather than 7.8 be a huge single release containing new type level
features, SIMD, the new code-generator. There would be two releases,
one containing just say the new-code-generator, improvements to the IO
manager, potentially also DPH... another release would containing new
language level improvements.

So then HP can benefit from improvements to the existing language and
API without having to also pull in breaking (or just extending)
changes...

It's the issue of a research compiler Vs. and industrial compiler and
managing that more explicitly in the release model.

Cheers,
David