GHC 7.8 release?

José Pedro Magalhães jpm at cs.uu.nl
Fri Feb 8 15:47:37 CET 2013

(sorry for re-post, but the first one got rejected from some lists due to
too many recipients)

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Does this strike a chord with anyone, or have I got the wrong impression
> and everyone is happy with the pace?

I am happy with the pace; I like the "release early, release often"
approach. The HP is not forced to use the
latest GHC, and the GHC download page already clearly directs users to the
HP. Slowing down GHC releases
will slow down adoption of new features, because while installing GHC might
be "harder" than installing the HP,
installing GHC HEAD is harder. My experience is that almost no one, apart
from GHC devs, has HEAD, and
they aren't willing to install it just to play with one new feature. Once a
new compiler version is out, however,
many people are happy to try it, even if it has no accompanying HP.

Cheers,
Pedro