--split-objs

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 14:15:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 4:08 AM, harry <voldermort at hotmail.com> wrote:

> The documentation for --split-objs states that "this only makes sense for
> libraries". How is an executable compiled against a split-objs library?
> According to
> https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/1611#issuecomment-30750655, this
> isn't happening by default.

I don't understand the question. Whether a library is split-objs or not
does not affect how you link an executable, only the space/time efficiency
trade-off of doing so. And while in theory you might see improvements by
split-objs-ing an executable, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to
include dead code in an executable in the first place (whereas
functionality of a library that you aren't using is dead for *your* use but
not for other consumers of the library).