memory fragmentation with ghc-7.6.1

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 05:07:07 CEST 2012

Yes, that's my current understanding.  I see this with ByteString and
Data.Vector.Storable, but not
Data.Vector/Data.Vector.Unboxed/Data.Text.  As ByteStrings are pretty
widely used for IO, I expected that somebody else would have
experienced this too.

I would expect some memory fragmentation with pinned memory, but the
change from ghc-7.4 to ghc-7.6 is rather extreme (no fragmentation to
several GB).

John L.