How do I build GHC 7.6 from source?

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 21:48:13 CEST 2012

Hello,

I was just trying to build the GHC-7.6 branch from source and the build
failed with type-errors, because the libraries used by GHC have moved on
since the release, and "sync all" just gets the most recent version.

Is there a "fingerprint" somewhere so that I can checkout the libraries in
a suitable form for building 7.6?

More generally, I run into this problem all the time with people trying to
build the branch I work on, so it really would be nice if we started using
sub-modules to keep track of this dependency.  I talked to folks at ICFP
about this, and one idea was that we could check in the "fingerprint" for a
branch into the repo, and track the dependencies this way, but this is
exactly what git's submodule machinery does, so it seems pointless to
implement the functionality which is already there with a standard
interface.  Thoughts?

-Iavor