Type operators in GHC

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 17:00:36 CEST 2012

One issue with this proposal is it makes it *completely* impossible to pick
a type constructor operator that works with both older GHCs and 7.6.

It is a fairly elegant choice, but in practice it would force me and many
others to stop using them completely for the next couple of years, as I
wouldn't be able to support any users on older GHCs, or if I did I would
have to export completely different operator names, and then the users
would have to use conditional compilation to do different things with them.
=/

As it is, I can and do at least choose : prefixed names for any type
constructor I want to have be compatible with old GHCs.

Back when the change was initially proposed I think it was Igloo who
suggested that it might be possible to allow the use of symbols as type
variables if they were explicitly quantified by a forall.

Would that be a viable approach?

-Edward