PolyKind issue in GHC 7.6.1rc1: How to make a kind a functional dependency?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Tue Sep 4 04:59:30 CEST 2012

I retract my statement.

My mistake was that I looked at the definition for consistency in FC -- which correctly is agnostic to non-base-kind coercions -- and applied it only to the set of coercion assumptions, not to any coercion derivable from the assumptions. As Andrea's example shows, by assuming an eta coercion, it is possible to derive an inconsistent coercion.

Examining the definition for FC consistency more closely, an eta coercion does not match to the form allowed for coercion assumptions used to prove consistency. The proof, in [1], requires all assumptions to have a type family application on the left-hand side. An eta coercion does not have a type family application on either side, and so the consistency proof in [1] does not apply.

In light of this, it would seem that allowing eta coercions while retaining consistency would require some more work.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
Richard

[1] S. Weirich et al. "Generative Type Abstraction and Type-level Computation."
(http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~sweirich/papers/popl163af-weirich.pdf)