Proposal: EPHEMERAL pragma

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 18:12:17 CEST 2012

The question of whether the warnings should come by default or not is
a question of how serious the programmer is when they declare a type
as EPHEMERAL. In Pedro's use cases, I would be very serious about it —
as Ryan said, performance tends to "tank" otherwise.

### Proposal Extensions

I think a more granular pragma targeting value declarations would also be nice.

> {-# EPHEMERAL T #-}
> x = …

This would tell GHC that I really don't want any values of type T in x's core.

It might also make sense to have a EPHEMERAL pragma that has a module
as it's scope.

A related and more expressive pragma might be something like:

> {-# USES foo 1, bar 2 #-}
> x = …

This hypothetical pragma would similarly a) guide GHC's inliner and b)
emit warnings if the programmer's declared expectations (eg that foo
occurs once and bar occurs twice) are not met by x's ultimate RHS in
Core.

Of course, the cost of the USES pragma's expressiveness is that it may
lead to "brittle" source code. However, if performance is important
enough to be part of your code's specification, then this may generate
legitimate warnings (perhaps even errors, with a sub-pragma!) —
especially in rather mature performance-focused packages.