GHC compiling shared library linking problem

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 13:24:40 CEST 2012

On 17/10/2012 08:43, Richard Zetterberg wrote:
> I have two parts of my application; one which builds a cli application
> which uses my module and one which builds a shared library which uses
> the same module. I have no problems compiling my cli application. And if
> I try to compile the shared library without the foreign export and the
> functions in Shared.hs I get another linker error:
>
>      /usr/bin/ld: ../src/Assembly.o: relocation R_X86_64_32S against
> `stg_CAF_BLACKHOLE_info` can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
>      ../src/Assembly.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
>      	collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> (I forgot to add that I'm using the haskell-platform package in Debian
> sid (unstable). Here is the package and it's dependencies:
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/haskell-platform.)

I think you're trying to make a shared library from Haskell code, right?
  You don't say what platform, but it looks like x86_64/Linux or maybe
OS X.  On these platforms, code that goes into a shared library must be
compiled with -fPIC.  You will also need to compile with -dynamic, in
order to link against the shared versions of the RTS and the other
Haskell libraries.