Installing binary tarball fails on Linux

Simon Marlow marlowsd at
Mon Oct 8 13:08:01 CEST 2012

On 01/10/2012 13:00, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On 01/10/2012 12:05, Simon Marlow wrote:
>> This probably means that you have packages installed in your ~/.cabal
>> from a 32-bit GHC and you're using a 64-bit one, or vice-versa.  To
>> avoid this problem you can configure cabal to put built packages into a
>> directory containing the platform name.
> How does one do this? I ran into this problem a while ago and couldn't
> figure it out:

I do this at work where I share the same home dir between several
different machines, and my .cabal/config contains

install-dirs user
   prefix: /home/simonmar/.cabal
   bindir: $prefix/bin/$arch-$os
   -- libdir: $prefix/lib