seemingly inconsistent behavior for "kind-indexed" type constraints in GHC 7.6

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 09:39:13 CEST 2012

Just in case anyone is following along at home, here's what I'm going with.

> type TakeN n ts = TakeNDropM n Z ts
>
> type family TakeNDropM (n :: Nat) (which :: Nat) (ts :: [k]) :: [k]
> type instance TakeNDropM Z     which ts = '[]
> type instance TakeNDropM (S n) which ts = Nth which ts ': TakeNDropM n (S which) ts
>
> class (ts ~ TakeN n ts) => NLong (n :: Nat) (ts :: [k])

(Turns out the coercion method itself is unnecessary in this case.)

Now I just have to "prove" it (by using the requisite ~ constraints on
ts) via instances… in the morning. I think this solution will work out
nicely, based on my previous experiences.

It may turn out to be interesting to compare this convention (of
sprinkling NLong constraints everywhere) to the intended behavior of
using a promoted vector GADT for the kind of ts — eg (ts :: Vec n k).

Thanks for the help, Richard and Gábor. To everyone else, sorry for
the noise/HTH in the future.