Comments on current TypeHoles implementation

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Oct 4 11:40:02 CEST 2012

There is also the small matter, in this example, of distinguishing which `_' is which. The description works, but you have to think about it. I don't have an immediate and simple solution to this. Perhaps the addition of unique labels (e.g. _$1 _$2). But this is not a major problem. It can even wait until some future development/expansion on TypeHoles.

I have a proposal.  Someone has already suggested on hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5910 that an un-bound variable behaves like a hole.  Thus, if you say

          f x = y
GHC says "Error: y is not in scope".  But (idea) with -XTypeHoles

f x = y
might generate

1.   (renamer) Warning: y is not in scope

2.   (type) Error: Hole "y" has type....
So that's like a named hole, in effect.

If you say
   f x = 4
GHC warns about the unused binding for x.  But if you say
   f _x = 4
the unused-binding warning is suppressed.  So (idea) if you say
          f x = _y
maybe we can suppress warning (1).  And, voila, named holes.

Moreover if you add -fdefer-type-errors you can keep going and run the program.

Any comments?  This is pretty easy to do.

(I'm unhappy that -XTypeHoles is a language pragma while -fdefer-type-errors is a compiler flag.  Maybe we should have -XDeferTypeErrors?)

Simon