Dynamic libraries by default and GHC 7.8

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Fri Nov 30 18:07:25 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org>wrote:

> At the moment, I do not see how dynamically built
> Haskell programs are in the interest of our user.

They do offer the prospect of fixing some annoying bugs for free, by
offloading them to existing, working system infrastructure. For instance,
we can't call C++ code from ghci right now, because ghci's loader doesn't
invoke static initializers that C++ libraries tend to use heavily.

The "save some bytes" argument seems like a red herring, but it's far from
the only thing to pay attention to.