GHC Performance Tsar

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Nov 30 15:42:54 CET 2012

| > While writing a new nofib benchmark today I found myself wondering
| > whether all the nofib benchmarks are run just before each release,

I think we could do with a GHC Performance Tsar.  Especially now that Simon has changed jobs, we need to try even harder to broaden the base of people who help with GHC.  It would be amazing to have someone who was willing to:

 * Run nofib benchmarks regularly, and publish the results

 * Keep baseline figures for GHC 7.6, 7.4, etc so we can keep
   track of regressions

 * Investigate regressions to see where they come from; ideally
   propose fixes.

 * Extend nofib to contain more representative programs (as Johan is
   currently doing).

That would help keep us on the straight and narrow.

Any offers?  It could be more than one person.

Simon