GHC build linking error

harro verkouter hverkouter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 02:58:53 CET 2012

wren ng thornton <wren <at> freegeek.org> writes:

> I'm working on creating some distribution bundles of GHC 7.4.1 and HP
> 2012.2.0.0 for OSX 10.5 to help rectify the lack of support on older
> Macs. In building GHC I've run into a linking error in stage1:
>
>      ld: duplicate symbol ___gmpz_abs in
> libraries/integer-gmp/gmp/objs/add.o and
> libraries/integer-gmp/gmp/objs/abs.o

Hi,

I ran into the same problem but managed to get it to work, finally.
I run Mac OSX 10.5.8 on an Intel based Mac.

1) make sure you have Xcode 3.4.1 from the Apple Developers download site:
You need gcc-4.2. Test this by doing this in a shell:
   $> gcc-4.2 -v

According to the gmp developers this link error goes away when using gcc-4.2.
See http://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-bugs/2010-January/001838.html

2) then I installed the "Haskell Platform 6.12.3" from
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_6_12_3
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_6_12_3#macosxintel

3) download ghc-7.4.1.tar.bz2
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_7_4_2#sources

4) after unbzipping and untarring:
   $> cd ghc-7.4.2
   $> ./configure --with-gcc=gcc-4.2
   $> make
   (success!)
   $> make install
   (profit!)

Hope you will manage to get it to work too!

cheers,
h verkouter