Dynamic libraries by default and GHC 7.8

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Wed Nov 28 17:04:44 CET 2012

Somebody signing messages as Joachim Breitner wrote:
>Given the current sensitivity of the ABI hashes we really do not want to
>have Programs written in Haskell have a runtime dependency on all the
>included Haskell libraries. So I believe we should still link Haskell
>programs statically in Debian.

This is also a concern I have.

>Hence, Debian will continue to provide its libraries built the static
>way.

Right.

>Building them also in the dynamic way for the sake of GHCi users seems
>possible.

Perhaps Debian could just ship a GHCi that uses the RTS linker, as now?  The
change is to be made for "some platforms", we could opt to have Debian not
be such a platform.

--
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted