Dynamic libraries by default and GHC 7.8

Jens Petersen juhp at community.haskell.org
Wed Nov 28 08:00:02 CET 2012

On 28 November 2012 03:02, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:
> We actually have half a plan to fix this, so that a single compilation
> would build both static and dynamic libraries. Most of the work
> (parsing, type checking, optimising) can be shared; it's just the
> codegen phase that needs to be different.

Perhaps this plan could be used for a transition phase?
If a simple pass were enough to generate both dyn and static
(which I could then also check off my ghc wishlist:-)
then a compromise might be to make ghc/Cabal default to generating
both until ghc8 is released?
Still defaulting to dynamic linking of executables of course.
By that time people should be sufficiently used to the change.
Such a softer transition plan might be more generally acceptable to
Linux and MacOS users?

To me being able to default ghc and Cabal to use just dyn will be big
improvement.

Could you say more about the impact to ghc-7.6.2 Cabal?

Jens