Dynamic libraries by default and GHC 7.8

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Tue Nov 27 23:08:10 CET 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 08:15:59PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > Regarding Question 7 (enable dynamic by default on other platforms)
> > and OpenBSD: as long as it's easy to disable it again, I'll be happy
> > with *any* decision.
>
> It will be easy to turn it off, but depending on the platform we might
> have removed support for GHCi when it's turned off.
>
> Does ghci work for you currently?

Yes, but I'm still at ghc-7,4.2. Not enough time to catch up with
recent ghc development :-(

> Is this a registerised or unregisterised build?

Registerised, working on i386 and amd66 (or x86 and x86_64 in the
non-bsd-world).

> > That's partially because currently we've even a patch explicitely
> > disabling shared library support in our ports/packages system (last
> > time I tried with shared lib support, I got some segfaults in the
> > midst of the build, and unfortunately I'm still too short of time
> > to debug/fix it).
>
> That's a bit bizarre. With shared libraries enabled, there still won't
> be any dynamically linked programs actually run.

No worry. There were a lot of changes in OpenBSD during the last 6
months (including dl.so, pthreads, whatever). Wether there's a bug
in the GHC build system, or in the (heavily patched) OpenBSD port,
or in the binaries we use for bootstrapping, I really dont't know.
I wouldn't ve surprised if it's some breakage on my side (with the
bootstrappers i supply).

Ciao,
	Kili