Dynamic libraries by default and GHC 7.8

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Tue Nov 27 18:07:34 CET 2012

Somebody claiming to be Ian Lynagh wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:22:12AM -0500, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
>> IIRC, one of the problems with dynamic linking in GHC is that when
>> the GHC version is different, the ABI can often be different enough
>> to making such shared libraries incompatible with each other /
>> binaries made on different GHCs.  This makes distribution a
>> potential nightmare (where you have to package all the *.so files
>> and send them along with your binary, which is essentially the same
>> as static linking, but more pain).
>
>That is still the case. However, if you want to distribute binaries then
>you will still be able to build with -static if you don't want to have
>ot bundle a load of DLLs. It's only the default that will change.

If the default changes, though, that would mean that before distribution
I would have to re-build all my cabal packages with -static?  And if
I change my default so that cabal builds with -static GHCI would no longer
work for me?

--
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted