UHC-like JavaScript backend in GHC

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 13 16:17:50 CET 2012

| currently doing. Before I get started: does the GHC architecture
| currently allow for adding a new calling convention which departs from
| the conventional C FFIs and introduces a custom RTS?

GHC certainly supports new back ends.  You'd probably want to replace the entire back end, and go from optimised Core to Javascript.  Should be entirely feasible.

I'm sure you are checking out all relevant stuff, but you don't mention:

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/STG_in_Javascript
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/88970
https://plus.google.com/102016502921512042165/posts/Z7NtU4eF8Zh

Difficulties may be in supporting all of GHC stuff, esp concurrency. Eg the I/O library depends heavily on concurrency, so you may need to replace it entirely.

Keep us posted!

Simon

 If not, where are