Potential GSoC proposal: Reduce the speed gap between 'ghc -c' and 'ghc --make'

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Thu May 17 16:51:12 CEST 2012

Mikhail's original question was about loading interface files for entire
packages with mmap.

As a wild thought experiment, if GHC had a saved-heaps capability, I
believe that would avoid the Unique issues with mmap'ing individual data
structures that Simon mentioned.  How about if each whole-package interface
were then a GHC saved heap that, when booted, would become an "interface"
server that would communicate with, and be shared by, other GHC build
server processes.

  -Ryan