Stealing ideas from the latest GCC release

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at
Fri Mar 23 00:23:02 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Jan-Willem Maessen
<jmaessen at> wrote:
> Wait, I thought this is essentially what constructor specialization does?  I
> suppose we might then keep around the old body.  Or will these behave
> differently in the presence of, say, different constant Int arguments?

We do want to keep around the old body (but constructor specialization
already does that.) We also want to be able to specialize things like
5 :: Int, which I don't think constructor specialization handles.

-- Johan