Interpreting the strictness annotations output by ghc --show-iface

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at
Thu Mar 8 02:40:43 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 20:01, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at>
> wrote:
> > I think the original type signature is needed to figure it out.  In the
> > earlier example it indicated ghc drilling down into the type (a tuple)
> and
> > determining the strictness of the constituents.
> I parenthesis were for tuples I would never expect to see e.g. U(L).

Right, the tuple was just that example.

> Data F = F Int

would give you something that could produce U(L), the U for the F
constructor, the L for the contained Int.

brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at