Records in Haskell

J. Garrett Morris jgmorris at
Thu Mar 1 09:08:48 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM, AntC <anthony_clayden at> wrote:
> SORF's whadyoumaycalls are at the Kind level. (I'm not opposed to them
> because they're new-fangled, I'm opposed because I can't control the
> namespace.)

Nah, they have kinds, and they don't take parameters, so they're
probably types.  Whether you prefer that "foo" in module A mean the same
thing as "foo" in module B is entirely up to you; while it might seem
intuitive to do so, it's also true that if I write

> data List t = Cons t (List t) | Nil

in two different modules, I declare two entirely distinct list types,
even if the "natural" semantics of the two types might be hard to

"Would you be so kind as to remove the apricots from the mashed potatoes?"