[GHC Users] Dictionary sharing

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 29 15:55:36 CEST 2012

Hello Jonas,

Like other top-level definitions, these instances are considered CAFs
(constant applicative forms), so these instances will in fact usually
be evaluated only once per type X.

    import System.IO.Unsafe
    class C a where
        dflt :: a
    instance C Int where
        dflt = unsafePerformIO (putStrLn "bang" >> return 2)
    main = do
        print (dflt :: Int)
        print (dflt :: Int)
        print (dflt :: Int)

ezyang at javelin:~/Dev/haskell$ ./caf
bang
2
2
2

Cheers,
Edward

Excerpts from Jonas Almström Duregård's message of Fri Jun 29 07:25:42 -0400 2012: