Understanding ghc-pkg dependencies when not using cabal

Tim Cuthbertson tim at gfxmonk.net
Sat Jun 2 09:51:29 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 5:38 AM, Joachim Breitner
<mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I’m involved with the Debian packaging I can probably answer a few of
> your questions.
>
> Am Samstag, den 02.06.2012, 00:01 +1000 schrieb Tim Cuthbertson:
>> For an example, lets use ansi-terminal [1] (and assume we're building
>> it on a unix host)
>>
>> ansi-terminal depends on `base` and `unix` packages. Do these need to
>> be present in source form, or just in "compiled package" form? I'm
>> assuming the latter.
>> (by "compiled package", I mean the stuff that ends up in e.g
>> ~/.cabal/lib/PACKAGENAME)
>
> Correct. See
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/libghc-ansi-terminal-dev/filelist
> for what Debian packages contain; that is sufficient to build libraries
> depending on this one. (We have separate -prof and -doc packages,
> though.)
>
>> When I built ansi-terminal, the package.conf I got out of `cabal
>> register` had the following field:
>>
>> depends: base-4.5.0.0-6db966b4cf8c1a91188e66d354ba065e
>>          unix-2.5.1.0-c004d6a0692bba682bbf2ac7b61d8322
>>
>> So presumably this is the exact version that was used for compilation.
>> Obviously the first part is the version, but what is the second part?
>> Is it the abi-hash of the library that was used at compile time?
>
> It is a hash across everything that is being exposed by the library, so
> yes.
>
>> If I want to use ansi-terminal in a program that I'm compiling, how
>> strict are these dependencies? Will a `unix` package of a different
>> version and the same abi-hash be acceptable? Does it need to be
>> strictly _newer_ than 2.5.1.0 (and still have the same abi-hash)? Or
>> is this an exact dependency? If I distribute the `unix` library in
>> compiled form, how likely is it that a given compiled version of
>> `unix` will satisfy the requirement?
>
> They are very strict, i.e. both version _and_ hash have to match.
>
>> If I have compiled two libraries that both depend on `unix`, but they
>> ended up referencing a different abi-hash of `unix` (maybe I compiled
>> them on a different computer, or on slightly different versions of the
>> source), what happens when I try to compile an application that
>> depends on these two libraries? I presume it couldn't work,
>
> it can work, at least if the unix libraries they have _different_
> versions and the two libraries do not try to interact using types or
> type classes from unix. We have had this situation with parsec-2 and
> parsec-3 for a while in Debian and worked ok, but should probably be
> avoided.
>
>> even if I
>> had registered both versions of `unix` simultaneously (is this even
>> possible to do?).
>
> AFAIK it is not yet possible, but it is planned to make that possible.
>
>> Under what circumstances will the same package source code (e.g
>> "unix-2.5.1.0") have two different abi-hashes? From [2], it sounds
> [...]

Hi Joachim,

Thanks very much for your response, that clears up a lot of confusion I had.

In general, it sounds like for zero install, it would be infeasible to
distribute "compiled" libraries given the fragility and specificity of
dependencies - since very frequently libraries that have been compiled
in a different context may end up with different IDs, despite
identical source code. For debian it sounds like this works by doing a
rebuild of all packages when necessary, but that doesn't seem workable
for a system like zero install - both because it is distributed and
because there is no scope for flagging that an implementation needs
recompilation despite the fact that it has not itself changed.

Similarly, it doesn't sound worthwhile pursuing shared libraries if
the dependencies at runtime will be as brittle as compile-time
dependencies.

I've written up my findings on the zero-install list as to how we
might proceed in supporting feeds / packages using ghc better, if
people are interested:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=29351261

Please correct me if I've misunderstood anything.

Cheers,
 - Tim.