No subject

Thu Jul 5 12:38:43 CEST 2012

http://lists.debian.org/debian-haskell/2010/03/msg00120.html

it seemed a big part of the problem is you really need to be able to
have multiple versions of the same package installed.

At the time, I believe the only way to do this was to include part of
the hash in the name, but that meant you had to constantly be creating
new packages which Debian didn't make easy.

Maybe it is time to explain the problem to the Debian packaging people
and see if they have any ideas from their level?

> Building them also in the dynamic way for the sake of GHCi users seems
> possible.

I was left with the impression that we were going to have this back in
2010 just as soon as squeeze got out the door...  :)

http://lists.debian.org/debian-haskell/2010/03/msg00155.html

Cheers!  -Tyson

PS:  Another solution might to move up one level.  That is, use the
packages in some way other than for actual standard packaging.

For example, they could be taken to mean what the user wants built.  The
installed packages then becomes the roots in a NIX style store.

Another example, do something like akmods system under redhat.  The
package actually builds a new locally generated package that is then
installed to get around the can't easily create new package issue.