[Haskell-cafe] Some thoughts on Type-Directed Name resolution

AntC anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Tue Jan 31 10:38:24 CET 2012

Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj <at> microsoft.com> writes:

> |  What would really, really help me is for someone to have a look at
the 'solution' I
> |  posted to the difficulties SPJ saw with the SORF approach. (I ref'd it in
my reply to

>   http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2011-
December/021298.html

Thank you Simon for putting in the time. I hope you feel it advanced the
discussion.

> Some thoughts
>
> * I don't think you need GetTy at all.  The attached version of your
>   code gets rid of it.

[Sorry, but no attachment seems to have come through in any of the places I
looked. I'm glad if we can simplify the code. I was trying to give type
inference as much help as possible, in case we could work 'outside in' from
the type of the result.]

> * Your trick with SetrTy does, I think, support type-changing update.
>   Good.  (Whether type-changing update is itself a valuable
>   enough feature to be worth the extra complexity, I'm not certain,
>   but perhaps that's a separate matter.)

Thank you. I, too, doubt its value. I'm thinking mostly about database
applications, where it would be a BAD THING.

> * Your trick with SetTy to support update of polymorphic fields is, I
>   belive, an (ingenious) hack that does not scale. I think it works
>   only for fields that are quantified over one type variable with no
>   constraints.

I'll take a merit point for the "ingenious", and a demerit for the "hack",
which of course it is.
We can introduce arbitrarily many forall'd type variables in the class
definition for set and SetTy:
      set :: fld -> (forall a_ b_ c_ d_. SetTy r fld t a_ b_ c_ d_) -> ...

I'm guessing I'll get no extra merits for that, and only multiply the demerits.

Re the constraints, does anything in the 7.4.1 Constraint Kinds help? Is there
any plan/could there ever be constraints on the RHS of type families?

Having an unconstrained `set' perhaps(?) doesn't do any harm, because we can
constrain what the corresponding `get' digs out (in the instance header for
Has). See my example instances for fldn and fldnb.

> So, I think that update of polymorphic fields remains problematic.

Yes. So I don't see this being a drama for people wanting records for
databases (where you can't save polymorphic functions to persistent media).
But it is problematic for the object-oriented oriented,

OK so now my part of the deal is to write up a full proposal on the wiki.
(Always I hear time's winged chariot hurrying near.) My tactic is to write
snippets in response to the various threads, then try to gather them together
to a cogent whole.

The key element is that the compiler generates the Has instances from the data
decl, and the programmer wouldn't see them. So perhaps we could get away with
them being ugly and/or hacks and/or limited scalability. (I'm not proposing
any changes to data decls, but the syntactic sugar for record type notation in
constraints would be handy.)

Before you ask: virtual record selectors like fullName or area would be just
ordinary functions, not field-like [This gets us out of your difficulty with a
`set' for virtual fields - there just wouldn't be one.]:

     fullName r = r.firstName ++ " " ++ r.lastName
so ordinary type inference for the Has constraints, derived from using the
field selectors:
     fullname :: (Has r Proxy_firstName String, Has r Proxy_lastName String)
                 => r -> String
or with the sugar:
     fullName :: r { firstName, lastName :: String }
                 => r -> String

Not only virtual selectors but also field-name selectors are just ordinary
functions, so can be blocked from import/export. [This gets past the
Representation hiding difficulty.]

set and get are ordinary (overloaded) functions [although we might not allow
them to appear direct in code]. So they (or field acces built over them) can
be passed around polymorphically, applied to polymorphic records, etc.

Anthony