Error when building cabal package with template haskell configured for profiling

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 19:49:20 CET 2012

On 27 January 2012 15:14, Felipe Almeida Lessa <felipe.lessa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> $ cabal configure --ghc-options="-O2 -prof -auto-all -caf-all"
>
> Why aren't you using the specific options for profiling?
>
> $ cabal configure --help | grep profiling
>  -p --enable-library-profiling     Enable Library profiling
>    --disable-library-profiling    Disable Library profiling
>    --enable-executable-profiling  Enable Executable profiling
>    --disable-executable-profiling Disable Executable profiling

This gives the following error:

$ cabal configure  --enable-executable-profiling
$ cabal build
    cannot find normal object file `<some_file.o>'
    while linking an interpreted expression

However when I apply the same trick as before, first building normally
then building with profiling enabled, it works:

$ cabal configure
$ cabal build
$ cabal configure  --enable-executable-profiling
$ cabal build
success!

Thanks for the hint!

Bas