Is it true that an exception is always terminates the thread?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Fri Jan 27 04:01:49 CET 2012

On 1/24/12 10:25 AM, Ryan Newton wrote:
> This is related but somewhat tangential --
>
>    *Why isn't there a tryReadChan?*  It looks like it would be implementable
> with the current Chan representation in terms of tryTakeMVar.  Especially
> since isEmptyChan is deprecated this would be nice to have.

(A) See stm-chans:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/stm-chans/1.2.0.1/doc/html/Control-Concurrent-STM-TChan-Compat.html

(B) The reason that module is called Compat is because (optimized
versions of) those functions have already been pushed to HEAD. We're
just waiting for them to make it out to the public.

     http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cvs-libraries/2011-April/012914.html

--
Live well,
~wren