Records in Haskell

AntC anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Fri Jan 27 00:47:05 CET 2012

Ryan Newton <rrnewton <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I admit I'm a big fan of polymorphic extension.  But I don't love it enough
for it to impede progress!

> Regarding extension:  In trying to read through all this material I don't
see a lot of love for "lacks" constraints a la TRex.
> Cheers,
>   -Ryan

Hi Ryan, I think the "lacks" constraint is sadly misunderstood, and in fact
something like it will be needed eventually.

(If anybody who knows the internals of Hugs/TRex is listening, it would be
great to get confirmation of the following.)

As you say, it relates to whatever might happen for polymorphic records, so is
outside the scope of what SPJ is trying to address in this thread.

On the other hand, let's try to avoid developing an approach for 'Records in
Haskell' that has to be undone when/if we get more polymorphic.