Runtime performance degradation for multi-threaded C FFI callback

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 10:58:37 CET 2012

On 21/01/2012 15:35, Sanket Agrawal wrote:
> Hi Edward,
>
> I was just going to get back to you about it. I did find out that the
> issue was indeed one GHC thread dealing with 5 C threads for callback
> (1:5 mapping) - so, the C threads were blocking on callback waiting for
> the only GHC thread to be available. I updated the code to do 1:1
> mapping - 5 GHC threads for 5 C threads. That proved to be almost
> linearly scalable.

This is almost right, except that your callbacks are not waiting for a
GHC *thread*, but what we call a "capability", which is roughly speaking
"permission to execute Haskell code".  The +RTS -N option chooses the
number of capabilities.

I expect that with -N1, your program is spending a lot of time just
switching between the different OS threads.

It's possible that we could make the runtime more flexible here.  I
recently made it possible to modify the number of capabilities at
runtime, so it's conceivable that the runtime could automatically add
capabilities if it is being called from multiple OS threads.

> John Latos suggested the above approach two days back, but I didn't get
> to test the idea until now.
>
> It doesn't seem to matter whether number of GHC threads are increased,
> if the mapping between GHC threads and C threads is not 1:1. I got 1:1
> mapping by doing forkIO for each C thread. Is it really possible to do
> 7:5 mapping (that is 7 GHC threads to choose from, for 5 C threads
> during callback)? I can't think of a way to do it. Not that I need it. I
> am just curious if that is possible.

Just think of +RTS -N7 as being 7 *locks*, not 7 threads.  Then it makes
perfect sense to have 7 locks available for 5 threads.