Posting etiquette, was Re: Records in Haskell

Matthew Farkas-Dyck strake888 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:58:48 CET 2012

On 19/01/2012, Malcolm Wallace <malcolm.wallace at me.com> wrote:
> I find it completely unreasonable for a reply to a very long post to quote
> the entire text, only to add a single line at the bottom (or worse, embedded
> in the middle somewhere).  In this case, there are 7 pages of quotation
> before your one-sentence contribution.  (That is on my laptop.  I dread to
> think how many pages it represents on a smartphone screen...)  Usually, if I
> need to scroll even to the second page-worth of quotation and have still not
> found any new text, I now just delete the post without reading it.
>
> Regards,
>     Malcolm

Sorry.

The reason that I have done so is that my primary mail client (GMail
web) automatically folds quoted text (marked by ">" at start of line).
(I'm not sure whether my secondary client (mutt) can do so.)

When I first saw this message, I thought I would be slammed for
top-posts (I have been guilty a few times).

Anyhow, I shall keep this in mind.